The grey skein is what the yarn looks like before dyeing. I’m not using it in the project.
So I finished several things over the weekend leaving me with no everyday knitting. I spent some time in my queue but couldn’t quite find anything. Then it occurred to me that I don’t have to finish spinning all of the Patrick the CVM fleece before I start using it. I had already picked out 3 patterns for it, 2 of which I already own.
I could do one or the other with the yarn I had done but not both. I really like the multi colored Sixpences but didn’t want to dye that much yarn. I’m not set up to do long color repeats so I’ll do single color small skeins. But that meant re-skeining and then dyeing a bunch of different colors and I just didn’t have the time or energy for that. So Lady won by default. I took a look at the finished projects for it and decided to go with….yeah, blue.
Now I’m not very scientific about dyeing but I did note down some things for those who like numbers. 252 grams of fiber. 1/4 tsp dye. 1 gallon (or so) of water. I kettle dye on the stove. Dharma acid dyes – Midnight Blue. 3 TBSP of vinegar when the yarn goes in at about 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Bring the temp to 180 and add 3 more TBSP vinegar. I generally end up taking it to just about 200 before turning it off and letting it sit. This time, it wasn’t exhausting so I brought it back to 200 for a minute before turning it off. After 15 minutes or so the water was clear.
Yarn was dry late tonight so I caked it up and will cast on tomorrow.
Expect a FO post on Friday. I found some things that have been long finished but in need of blocking so did that since I had my blocking board out anyway. It all needs to dry before I take pics.