The first thing I must emphasize is that I am not scientific about this. I don’t really measure and I don’t keep great notes. And my camera is not a fan of purples so colors are somewhat off. I mixed up dye solutions of 1/8 tsp dye to 1 Cup of water and poured splashes of that out into jars, about 1/8 -1/4 cup of solution for each dye. I also added a splash of vinegar and did all my heating in pint canning jars in the microwave.
Yarn is 8-10 yard mini-skeins of the grey CVM handspun that I’ve showed before.
These are the colors straight from the jars so are the most saturated possible colors.
- Cherry Bomb – a lovely red with a raspberry tinge.
- True Turquoise – Lighter and bluer than I expected. And seemed a bit fiddly in getting it to strike. May need more acid than the rest.
- Aubergine – Deep purple with a brown tone. Really gorgeous in person.
- Oxblood Red – not as deep red as I would have thought. More old blood.
- Berry Crush – deep, lovely violet. A very rich color.
- Bright Aqua – Bright blue-green.
- Teddy Bear Brown – solid dark brown. I actually can’t wait to pair this with the aqua or turquoise.
Next I started blending. Just pouring colors together or adding a pinch of dry powder to the liquid. Again, no measuring.
- Berry Crush/Bright Aqua – dark lilac.
- Aubergine/True Turquoise – Just lightened the Aubergine a little and took out the brown tones.
- Cherry Bomb/Teddy Bear Brown – Rich wine.
- Cherry Bomb/Turquoise – Struck unevenly. Still quite pretty
- Cherry Bomb/Aubergine – Quite similar to the last one, just more purple. It seems that Cherry Bomb may have broke in both of these.
- OxBlood Red/True Turquoise – I confess that the Oxblood confuses me. It doesn’t blend like I’d expect.
- Berry Crush/Teddy Bear Brown – Plum
- Aubergine/Bright Aqua – Dark Blue-purple
- Aubergine/Berry Crush – A richer, slightly redder version of the last one.
- Berry Crush/True/Turquoise – Lilac.
- Cherry Bomb/ Midnight Blue – Gorgeous deep wine. Makes me think of Vampires
- Oxblood red/ Midnight Blue – Dusty Purple
- Bright Aqua/ Deep Magenta – Sort of a cross between raspberry and plum
- Berry Crush/Midnight Blue – This is what I think of when I think of purple.
- True Turquoise/Poinsettia – Red with hints of raspberry
- Berry Crush/Brilliant Yellow – Burnt Orange, which I like, surprisingly, as I don’t usually like orange
- Cherry Bomb/Midnight Blue – Wine red with bits of blue-purple. The Cherry broke again
- True Turquoise/ Deep Magenta – Purpley magenta
- Oxblood Red/ Brilliant Yellow – Almost Pumpkin pie orange with hints of yellow.
- Bright Aqua/Poinsettia – Light Burgundy