This pattern is going to drive me insane.
I got the written instructions done over the weekend and yesterday I cast on. The beginning went well. I can show you that without giving much away.
It’s pretty and interesting and I think I need to play with this as an all over design in the future.
After that I started the lace motif that I had designed. I was right. Those purl side decreases just suck. They’re overly complicated and I don’t like knitting them. My number one rule of knitting is that it should be fun and/or interesting. If certain stitches irritate me, I won’t knit it.
I’ve knitted enough lace to know I don’t like purl decreases beyond p2tog so I should have avoided them from the beginning. So back to the chart to fix things. I fiddled with adding plain purl rows but that stretched things out terribly. I soon realized that I had to do a complete redesign, except for the beginning part I showed above. I got the basic design re-done last night before my brain screamed no more.
This morning I came back to finish it. All was going well until I removed 3 rows that somehow accidentally got added to the beginning. That screwed up things so that all my pattern rows were suddenly on purl rows. NOOOOOOOO!!! That’s what I was trying to afford in the first place. So I decided to add a row to shift things back to the knit rows. But that messes up my shaping increases. I stared at it awhile before deciding that one row without increases wouldn’t really mess anything up.
Now I have to do the written pattern from this redesign. Doing it the first time was a headache in places and I don’t anticipate this being any easier. Maybe I should pay Stitch Fiddle for the month so I can do it automatically. I’ll think about it for awhile. I need a break before my head explodes.