Design fail

It was going so well.  I’ve been working hard on the Dwarrow stocking design.  The leg looks good.  The heel flap and heel are okay but the foot…the foot is a disaster.

100_4627

The gusset need some sort of design to ease the decrease line.  The foot design is way too big. This is just halfway through the chart.  If I finish it, it’ll be longer than the leg.  The stripes are acting as ribbing.  While some of that would block out, this is acrylic, so it would still be weird.  Despite my best efforts, it seems like my floats are too short, pulling the blue line of stitches apart to show the float beneath.  I don’t understand that since the floats make big annoying loops while it’s bunched up to knit.

It’s time to admit that this design is a fail and frog it.  On the plus side, the leg design will make a pretty cowl.  So it’s not a total loss.

I still need to release the Hap style shawl.  I’ll get around to it one of these days.  In the mean time, this stocking gets frogged and then I can use the needle to start a sweater (which is not my design.  I’ve never knit a sweater so there’s no way I could design one.)

Advertisements

Knitting Fail

100_4139

I cast on Frostfangs Hat yesterday.  I frogged it today.

The final straw was the colors.  There just isn’t enough contrast.  I need something brighter and lighter to go with the black.  So the pattern goes back in the queue until I find/buy that yarn (whatever it might be).

The other straws, you ask.  Well, the pattern itself was…umm, not the best.  It’s a hat, designed for a very large male head.  To make it fit a woman’s head, there are a lot of alterations to be made.  You need to drop one repeat and remove some (10) rows so it’s not too tall (unless you want it really slouchy).  I actually charted out the pattern so I could decide which rows to remove.  Most of them were at the bottom but there were a few higher up.  The ribbing was very loose, even done is a smaller needle size (size 2, instead of 3).  I knit colorwork very loosely now so I stayed with the size 2 for the body.  I still think it would have ended up a bit too big.  I think that I’ll make this into a cowl when I find the right yarn.  Then I won’t have to skip any rows or repeats although I will have to fiddle with the chart at the top to remove the crown decreases.  Gauge won’t be so important so I could maybe go with size 3 needles.

There won’t be a knitting wip post this week.  I only worked on this and my cowl design.  I finished the cowl but can’t show it until I’m ready to post the pattern and with this hat being frogged I’ve got nothing to show.  Tomorrow starts my month of spinning and I won’t have anything interesting to show after one day.  Actually I might not have anything interesting to show most of the month.  A bunch of grey singles in cakes isn’t very interesting.  We’ll just have to see how it goes.