And now for something completely different.
I’ve not been knitting or spinning because I’ve got a terrible neck ache. It’s part tension from Thanksgiving stress and part too much knitting. So I’ve been trying to find other things to do. Hopefully I’ll be getting a massage soon that will help.
I’ve been Christmas decorating and most of it is now done. Just the tree and a few pictures left to go. I pulled out my angel tree toppers. I have 2 and use whichever one I like best each year. The problem is that I while I like them, I don’t love them. I want a new one but they’re quite expensive and I never find one I truly love anyway.
I decided to try altering one of my existing angels. After some careful and gentle poking and prodding I discovered that the clothing and wings are just glued on and it all came off quite easily. So I dove into my fabric stash and came up with some gauzy fabrics and a lightweight solid that matched. I’ve no idea what the fabrics are called. The gauzy stuff I got from a rummage sale held by a lady from India and the solid was salvaged from a dress I dismantled.
My angel sits atop a cloud of angel hair (the real spun glass kind that’s banned now. I buy it anytime I find it at rummage sales and thrift stores.) The skirts on store bought angels never really floated over that cloud properly. So first up I doubled up the burgundy gauzy stuff and hand stitched a line so I could gather it up. There’s probably enough fabric there to go around my waist so it’s nice and poofy on the angel’s 7 inch waist.
It needed an underskirt as the gauzy stuff it still very sheer, even doubled. So I hand sewed one out of the solid. Next was a bodice, which is just the solid plus a gauzy gold just tacked together and then glued to the angel.
I had been planning to make a sort of coat, like the original clothes so next was sleeves. Same as the bodice, but no glue and better sewing, still by hand. I should of used a red thread. The gold stands out. I may glue on some ribbon later to hide it.
I spent some time trying to figure out how to do a coat and failed. In doing so I wrapped fabric around the angel’s shoulders like a shawl and really liked the effect. So more playing around and adding the sleeves and more of the gold gauzy fabric and I got a look I really like.
So next is gluing the sleeves on and trimming the excess fabric. Plus a little tacking down at the wrists so the sleeves stay put and don’t slide off over her hands. I also glued down the bodice in back. Then attaching the skirts properly. I simply took the ends of the thread from the gathering, pulled them tight and knotted them. I added a dab of glue on the knot. I debated (am still debating) a ribbon belt/sash around the waist. I’m just not sure how that would work over the poofy skirt.
Finally I added the shawl. I just gathered up the fabric, and tucked, pulled and arranged to my liking. No glue or sewing.
Now I am pondering wings. Both if I should even add them and if I do, how to make them.
Wings or no wings, I’m now pretty excited to get my tree up and see how she looks up on her cloud.